7 Reasons Why Trump HELPS The GOP
While Donald Trump continues to dominate national polls and has all but secured his spot in the first primary debate in August, establishment Republicans and fellow candidates are on the attack.
But that may not be wise, according to some. Attacking Trump has only served to boost his numbers, as he’s made it crystal clear that he’s not one to back down from a fight.
Breitbart recently laid out seven reasons why The Donald could actually help the GOP elect a candidate into the White House — and their reasons are thought-provoking, to say the least.
1. A stalking horse, in the realm of politics, is someone who runs to draw all the fire early in the race to allow another candidate to quietly raise money and peak when it matters. That’s exactly how President Barack Obama flew under the radar in 2008 to beat Hillary Clinton — letting her have the bulk of the attention until he knew the time was right.
According to some, Trump could be this election’s stalking horse, allowing candidates like former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, Sen. Ted Cruz and Sen. Marco Rubio to craft their campaigns without added scrutiny from the media.
2. The attention factor is huge. Wherever Trump goes, the media follows. When Trump makes his bold claims about illegal immigration, he forces the media to cover the Republican side of the debate, which has been largely ignored for years.
3. Trump is the perfect opportunity for other candidates to draw contrast. While Trump has a large (and growing) number of loyal supporters, voters who refuse to jump on the Trump train have begun looking closely at his rivals, which will only prove beneficial for them in the long run.
4. While Newt Gingrich did a great job as anti-media attack dog in 2012, Trump has taken media attacks to an entirely new level — one that resonates deeply with American voters who think they’re being conned by the media 95 percent of the time.
As Breitbart mentioned, if Trump weren’t attacking the media, another candidate would be forced to do so. That’s why the GOP should encourage him to keep it up.
5. Trump has channeled the anger of the Republican base and used it in his favor. He hits home with conservatives angered by the fact that Republicans they continue to elect eventually bow to the left and fail to get anything done.
While other Republican candidates hide it, Trump brought the frustrations front and center — and his poll numbers are reflecting it on a daily basis. Other candidates should take note.
6. Though Republicans have traditionally ignored issues like illegal immigration in order not to further anger what little segment of Hispanic voters they can garner, Trump has tackled the issue head-on.
What are your thoughts? Do you think Trump helps the GOP in all of these ways or do you think Trump has all but locked in his nomination? Sound off on Facebook and let us know. More