World News

Over 700 People Killed In Stampede Outside Mecca At Hajj Site

Screen Shot 2015-09-24 at 11.12.09 AM

Iran is accusing the Saudis of mismanaging the site.

Mina (Saudi Arabia) (AFP) – A huge stampede killed at least 717 people and injured hundreds more at the hajj in Saudi Arabia on Thursday, in one of the worst-ever tragedies at the annual Muslim pilgrimage.

 

The stampede, the second deadly accident to hit the pilgrims this month following a crane collapse in Mecca, broke out during the symbolic stoning of the devil ritual, the Saudi civil defence service said.

 

Bodies of pilgrims wearing traditional white clothing were left scattered by the crush, surrounded by discarded shoes, flattened water bottles and umbrellas that had been used for protection from the sun.

 

The civil defence service said that it was still counting the dead, who included pilgrims from different countries, and that at least 863 people had also been hurt.

 

Nearly two million people from across the globe were attending the hajj, one of the largest annual gatherings in the world.

 

Iran said at least 43 of its citizens were dead and accused Saudi Arabia of safety errors that caused the accident. More

Previous post

Marvel Hires Black Activist To Pen Black Panther Comic Series

Next post

NYC Public Schools Take Day Off For Islamic Holiday Eid al-Adha

Join the conversation!

We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment where we can engage in reasonable discourse.